In the realm of numerous pasta sauces, one of them stands out as a masterpiece and that is Spicy Rigatoni Vodka Sauce. For all those who’re a sucker for Italian cuisine, this culinary sensation will treat your tastebuds with flavors of tanginess with a dash of spiced up creativity.
Using vodka as an ingredient adds more creamy texture to the character of an otherwise bland tomato sauce. Also, a subtle kick from the spirit enhances the taste of the dish by releasing some incomparable flavours.
Apparently, the spicy rigatoni vodka sauce recipe is picking up steam in the US markets. And it has made its way to the menus of a plethora of Italian-American cafes and restaurants. One of the popular one being Carbone which is a star-studded Italian restaurant franchise based in Manhattan.
The chain is one of the most celebrated places and known so much for its vodka sauce that the recipe has gained fame in by its name- Carbone Spicy Rigatoni Vodka. Celebrities and food enthusiasts from all over the globe fly down to taste the special palate pleaser.
What is spicy rigatoni vodka sauce?
Now that enough hype has been made regarding spicy rigatoni vodka sauce, it’s time to explore what exactly the dish is made with. This gourmet delight is a marriage of rigatoni pasta and velvety red sauce which involves the goodness of tomatoes, smoothness of cream with a kick of spirit and spice.
For all those who’re wondering the importance of adding vodka in the preparation, it was introduced to add more complex flavours. Although vodka evaporates while cooking, it leaves a special essence in the sauce behind. Apart from the basic ingredients mentioned above, chefs from everywhere love to experiment with the dish and add their own variations to it with unique ingredients and their personal touch. Each bite of spicy rigatoni vodka sauce will take you to a world of flavour fiesta.
What is the origin of spicy rigatoni vodka sauce?
As we view the history, the traces of spicy rigatoni vodka sauce root back to the time when the Italian-American cuisine was evolving. When the traditional Italian spices migrated from the kitchens of Italy and reached the US soil, this culinary gem was born. This sauce became a sensation and was often used to add flavour to the pasta recipes.
Over the years, culinary practices underwent evolution and merged local ingredients with foreign tastes. Of course, there was a big hand of immigrants in America to make it taste what it is now, but unfortunately, the exact history of the dish is still a mystery.
How to make spicy rigatoni vodka sauce at home?
As we have your interest, let’s delve into the culinary experience of preparing this lip-smacking tasteful delight. Just elevate your pasta experience with already available kitchen ingredients and nonflavoured vodka of your favourite brand. So, are you ready to try a hand at spicy rigatoni vodka sauce?
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tspn red pepper flakes (if you want to keep it less spicy, then adjust to taste)
- 1 cup of non-flavoured vodka
- 5-6 crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Around 400 grams of rigatoni pasta
- Salt (separately for boiling water)
- Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- Basil leaves
Steps to prepare
- Start by boiling the pasta in a large bowl with salt and water.
- Once it’s soft, drain the water and keep the pasta aside.
- Meanwhile, take a large pan and heat the oil on medium flame.
- Once the oil is heated, put chopped onions and sauté them till their colour changes slightly.
- Now add garlic and red pepper and sauté well till they mix with the oil and release an aroma.
- It’s vodka time! Pour your favourite brand’s non-flavoured vodka.
- Cook it for 2-3 minutes and allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Mix crushed tomatoes into the mixture and allow it to boil.
- Now put the flame on low and let the sauce’s flavour blend together for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the time is up, add the cream to give your sauce a velvety texture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let it cook for 5-7 minutes till the mixture gets thick.
- Transfer the drained rigatoni pasta to the sauce and mix well.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese to the pasta and keep stirring till the cheese engulfs the pasta.
- Finally, garnish with basil leaves.
- Serve hot with garlic bread and wine.