Suppose it’s a night after a long day at work and you want to end it on a lighter note by having something light and rushing to sleep. Well, to get you out of this situation is the Indian dish named Khichdi.
A person can simply fill a pot with rice, lentils, and different spices along with water to cook. Khichdi is a salty porridge that might be given to a person who is sick(like suffering from constipation). It’s a dish of South Asian cuisine made of rice and lentils(dal). There are various variations of the same, like bajra and moong dal khichdi. It can be eaten with pickles to add more taste to it.
In several regions of northern India, khichdi is considered most of the time to be the first solid food that babies are given after the mother’s milk. Apart from India, it’s a very popular dish in Bangladesh, Nepal, and Pakistan.
Now that we have told you about what Khichdi is, let us tell you about the recipes for different types of Khichdi-
Moong Dal Khichdi
- Lentils ½ cup
- Rice ½ cup
- Cumin seeds
- ⅓ finely chopped onions
- ⅓ to ½ chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chopped green chillies or serrano peppers
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger or grated
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- Rinse the lentils and rice together. After rinsing, soak both of them in water for about 30 minutes.
- After soaking them for the required time, drain the excess water.
- Next, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a pressure cooker.
- After the oil is heated up a bit add cumin seeds to it.
- When the cumin starts to splutter add the chopped onions and saute them until they turn translucent.
- After this, add the chopped tomatoes, green chilli, and ginger and mix properly.
- Next, add turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
- After the tomatoes turn soft, add the drained rice and lentils to the pressure cooker and stir until the ingredients are properly mixed.
- Add salt to the mixture.
- Add water to approximately 3.5 cups and close the lid tightly.
- Cook in the pressure cooker for about 8-9 minutes on medium to high flame.
- Open the lid after the specified time, and stir the Khichdi.
- Add ghee on the top before serving.
Why go with the normal ones, give a chance to your taste buds to taste something different.
Here we are gonna tell you about a Mexican khichdi which is a mix of both Indian as well as Mexican cuisine. It turns out to be a perfect choice for those who are bored of the normal variant and are craving something new.
2 cups hand-pounded Sona masoori rice, soaked for 8 to 10 hours, and cooked
1 cup black beans soaked for 12 hours and cooked
1 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
¼ cup corn kernels boiled
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves chopped
1 jalapeno chopped
to taste black pepper powder
to taste salt
1-½ tsp lemon juice
for garnishing spring onion chopped
for garnishing avocado sliced
- To cook the onions, heat the oil in a skillet and add the chopped onions. Saute until the onions become translucent.
- Now, stir in some garlic mince and cook for one more minute.
- Pepper, tomatoes, corn, jalapeno, salt, and pepper should now be added.
- Toss everything together and cook for two to three minutes.
- Next, mix in the beans, rice, lemon juice, and chopped coriander leaves. Then, stir in the remaining ingredients and cook for another two or three minutes.
- Arrange the spring onions and avocado slices atop the Mexican khichdi before serving. Start serving right away.
Now that we have told you guys about the quick easy escape you can take when it comes to quick and healthy food we hope that you will try these recipes out. Save this blog, so that you don’t miss any step in the cooking process.