A hotel in the Ernakulam district of Kerala was ordered to close and had its license revoked after 17 customers who had recently eaten there were sent to various hospitals with symptoms of food poisoning. It was determined that the restaurant in question was Hotel Majlis, located in the Paravur neighborhood of Ernakulam and that the incident occurred on Monday.
The patients had consumed two well-known Arabic dishes, al-faham and mandi, before admission to the hospital. The hotel had provided these dishes. After eating the food, most experienced symptoms like nausea, diarrhea, bodily pain, and unease.
After it became clear that an event concerning public health had occurred, Health Minister Veena George issued an order mandating that the Food Safety Commissioner immediately conduct an investigation and provide a report. As a direct result of this report, the license was revoked. After eating at the restaurant not long ago, a nurse who worked at the Kottayam medical college became ill and passed away.
Ernakulam Hotel Food Poisoning Incident!
During this time, the Food Safety Department has completed inspections at 189 restaurants across the state, and two of those establishments have had their licenses revoked. According to the minister’s office, 37 restaurants have been given warnings for failing to maintain cleanliness.
Recent years have seen an increase in the number of cases of food poisoning reported across the state. After these instances, Kerala’s department in charge of food safety has begun conducting inspections of hotels and restaurants there.
On Tuesday, the Food Safety Department carried out inspections at a total of 189 different businesses. Two of the factories that were operating in unsanitary circumstances and without licenses were closed down.
With measures like these one can expect better health conditions and safety measures, especially while dining out. One can appreciate the quick response from the Kerala health minister while hoping that other states adopt the same policy and stringent measures.