Jhal Muri was a dish created by British chef Angus Denoon. He sold it on the streets of Kolkata and since then it has been a famous Indian snack. This street food is preferred to be super spicy. In Kolkata, you can find this snack on every street, every train station, and mainly any public place so that passengers and tourists can enjoy it anytime. The main ingredient of this snack is puffed rice which is also called muri, murmura pori or kurmura in different parts of India. We all love puffed rice, especially when it is crispy and spicy.
You can have this snack at your home. It is very easy to prepare.
- One cup puffed rice
- One boiled potato
- One onion
- Three to four green chillies
- One tomato
- Half cucumber
- Mustard oil
- Lemon juice
- Chopped coriander
- Sev (optional)
- Chilli powder, salt, chaat masala, cumin powder
How To Prepare
- The puffed rice should be crispy. You can microwave them or roast them on the stove.
- Boil potatoes, chop onions, green chillies, tomatoes, and cucumber as well. You can go crazy with the garnishing and also add sprouted chickpeas, boiled peas, ginger, coconut and all.
- Add chilli powder, salt, cumin powder and chaat masala.
- Now add mustard oil to the mixture. Many people prefer to add pickle oil for extra flavour. Also, squeeze some lemon juice into it.
- Add chopped coriander, and roasted and skinned peanuts.
- Mix all the ingredients. Add puffed rice to the mixture and mix well.
- You can also add sev for extra flavour and crunchiness.
Making Jhal Muri is very easy and worth investing your time in. The preparation time for this snack can not be more than fifteen minutes. You can add various spices like amchur, rock salt, pepper or garam masala to the mixture. This snack has no limitations and you can add or subtract ingredients as per your taste buds.
This snack is not only light and easy to prepare but also healthy. The puffed rice is rich in fibre. This way one can take care of their snacky habits along with keeping track of their weight. You can eat it guilt-free. You can make it healthier by adding sprouts and all other greeneries to it. You can add fibre-rich toppings to it and put aside the mustard oil. The best thing about this snack is that you can experiment with garnishing. So, you can make it super spicy or mildly spicy. People of all age groups can enjoy it.
The method to create it is basically just mixing all the ingredients. Make sure that you don’t use the pulpy part of the tomato as it can make the muri soggy. The thing that makes this snack so special is its crispiness. So make sure the ingredients don’t make jhal muri lose its speciality.
Don’t wait to try this amazing Bengali snack. Just spare fifteen minutes, and make jhal muri as spicy and healthy as you want. Try making this snack and enjoy it while celebrating a safe and eco-friendly Diwali.